Top Tip Recipe From Austin Hawk
If you are looking to achieve the best price and a quick sale please follow our guide below. We understand that not every owner has the time, inclination or finances to embark on such tasks. Rest assured we can market any property, whatever the condition. Austin Hawk will take into account the overall condition of the property when we value to ensure it has the correct positioning in the current market.
Disassociate Yourself With Your Home.
- Say to yourself, “This will not be my home, it is an asset to be SOLD much like selling a car”
- Make the mental decision to “let go” of your emotions and focus on the fact that soon this property will no longer be yours. This way prospective purchasers comments won’t offend you.
- Picture yourself handing over the keys and envelopes containing appliance warranties to the new owners!
- Don’t look backwards -look toward the future.
- Pack up those personal photographs and family heirlooms. Buyers can’t see past personal artifacts, and you don’t want them to be distracted. You want buyers to imagine their own photos on the walls, and they can’t do that if yours are there! You don’t want to make any buyer ask. You want buyers to say, “I can see myself living here.”
- People collect an amazing quantity of junk. Consider this: if you haven’t used it in over a year, you probably don’t need it
- If you don’t need it, why not donate it or throw it away?
- Remove excessive books from bookcases
- Pack up those knickknacks
- Clean off all but essentials from kitchen counters
- Put essential items used daily in a small box that can be stored in a closet when not in use
- Think of this process as a head-start on the packing you will eventually need to do anyway.
Make Minor Repairs.
- Replace cracked floor or counter tiles
- Re-touch any scuffed paintwork
- Fix leaky taps
- Fix doors that don’t close properly and kitchen drawers that jam
- Consider painting your walls neutral colours, especially if you have grown accustomed to purple or pink walls. (Don’t give buyers any reason to remember your home as “the house with the orange bathroom.”)
- Replace burned-out light bulbs
- If you’ve considered replacing worn bedding now is a great time to do it!
Make the House Sparkle!
- Wash windows inside and out
- Rent a pressure washer and spray down side paths and exterior
- Clean out cobwebs
- Re-silicone tubs, showers and sinks
- Polish chrome taps and mirrors
- Vacuum daily
- Dust furniture, light fixtures
- Replace worn rugs
- Hang up fresh towels
- Clean and air out any musty smelling areas. Odours are a no.
- Go outside and open your front door. Stand there. Do you want to go inside? Does the house welcome you?
- Linger in the doorway of every single room and imagine how your house will look to a buyer
- Examine carefully how furniture is arranged and move pieces around until it makes sense
- Is it warm & welcoming in the winter? Fresh, bright and airy in the summer?
Check Roadside Appeal.
- A buyer will pass on the chance of an internal viewing if they really don’t like the exterior of your property
- Keep the paths cleared
- Mow the lawn
- Paint faded window surrounds
- Plant flowers or group flower pots together
- Trim your shrubs and hedges
- Make sure visitors can clearly read your house number.